Occupying 31.8 square miles and with 6076 residents according to the 2009 figures, Tewksbury Township is part of the four-state Highlands region, now recognized as a critical natural resource, due especially to its value as a source of water.
The Township traces its origins to George Willocks' purchase of land from Lenape Indians in 1708 and to the West Jersey Society purchase of one hundred thousand acres two years later. Germans from the Palatinate arrived in the mid-18th century, and under the leadership of the Lutheran Bishop Muhlenberg, built a church, cemetery and home in what is now Oldwick. The New Germantown, used for current Oldwick, first appeared in 1754 and survived until the rise of anti-German feelings during World War I, when the village was re-named "Oldwick", an Anglo-Saxon name for "Old Village".
Tewksbury Township was divided from Lebanon Township, and by Royal patent, became a township on March 11, 1755. The name, Tewksbury, is believed to have originated from a connection with Tewkesbury in Gloucestershire, England. The two townships established a sister city relationship in 2003.
The settlement of Pottersville began in the early 1750's as a milling center. In 1783 the mills became the property of the Sering Potter family, hence the name "Potter's Mills", which was changed to "Pottersville" with the establishment
of the post office in 1840.
Mountainville, so named because it sits at the base of Hell Mountain, dates back to 1788 with the settlement of Adam Teets along the Rockaway Creek.
The earliest settler of Fox Hill (now upper Fairmount) was German emigrant John Peter Fox (Fuchs). Around 1710 the area was named for Fox. Presbyterian churches were established there and in Lamington in the 18th century.
The village of Cokesbury did not coalesce until well after 1814 when the Methodist congregation organized and built the church, which gave the locality its name. The church derived its name from Bishop Francis Asbury and Bishop Dr. Thomas Coke, both Methodist missionaries.
- The Tewksbury Historical Society For more information please visit the Tewksbury Historical Society Home Page