Corona Virus Update
FROM THE TEWKSBURY TOWNSHIP MAYOR -PETER MELICK
Dear Tewksbury Township Residents,
I just wanted to take a minute to update you on the status of theTewksbury Township Government. Police, Fire, and Rescue services will continue to operate as normal. Our DPW will also continue to operate with some very minor modifications.
Our Township Administrative offices is currently closed to the public, but we are continuing with our normal service where they can feasibly be delivered.
If anyone has any specific concerns regarding the COVID-19 virus, please contact the following websites or your local healthcare provide.
I am confident that as a resident of Tewksbury Township, we can weather this current setback and look forward to better days ahead. In the interm, if anyone has any questions, please feel free to reach out to me at 908-310-1703.
Township of Tewksbury Mayor
Due to the COVID-19 situation, effective immediately and until further notice, all Tewksbury Township buildings will be closed to the public. This measure is being taken for the protection of our residents and employees.
Please communicate with employees via email or telephone. Telephone extensions and email addresses can be found below:
Contact 908-439-0022 at the following extensions or email addresses.
Please utilize the DROPBOX located next to the mailboxes for any tax payments, zoning permits, or any other items being dropped off.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your cooperation and understanding.
A local state of emergency has been declared.
Beginning at 1:00 PM on March 17, 2020 the following regulations will go into effect:
1) The Township of Tewksbury, and each department, division, bureau or section thereof, shall continue normal operations with the emergency modifications as herein mandated.
2) The Municipal Offices of the Township of Tewksbury shall operate on a staff-only basis and shall be closed to the general public. Those seeking to conduct business with the Township are encouraged to communicate with the relevant department or municipal government head on how to proceed. Each department will continue its operations to serve the needs of the Township residents and will be available by phone or email. Appointments with relevant staff can be requested and shall be considered on an individual basis and scheduled at the discretion of the appropriate department head.
3) Until further notice, al l building inspections under the jurisdiction of the Construction Office shall generally be limited to exterior inspections, vacant building inspections, inspections for properties presently under construction, and inspections pending or anticipated real estate transactions, with all such inspections to be conducted at the absolute discretion of the Construction Official.
4) The regular meetings of the Tewksbury Township Committee will be conducted as currently scheduled, subject to further consultation with local and state health officials. Seating arrangements shall be in accordance with current social distancing practices.
5) The meetings of all other boards, committees, and commissions of the Township of Tewksbury shall be cancelled until further notice.
6) All parks and recreation fields under the operation and control of the Township of Tewksbury shall operate as normal but be restricted to groups of ten (10) or less individuals congregating j ointly for the purpose of recreation until further notice.
7) In compliance with the order of the Administrative Office of the Courts, the Municipal Court of the Township of Tewksbury shall conduct no sessions until April 16, 2020, but the administrative offices thereof shall remain in operation pursuant to the terms of this order.
8) Tewksbury Township will move to an email response system for records requested under the Open Public Records Act, N.J.S.A. 47:1A-1 et seq. Requests for physical copies of records will be reviewed by the Township Clerk and Township Attorney.
The regulations will remain in effect until the local state of emergency is rescinded.
We STRONGLY encourage Tewksbury residents and anyone visiting Tewksbury to sign-up for Nixle Alerts (people can get the alerts by texting “07830” to “888777” or by going to www.nixle.com), and on Facebook.com/tewkspd
The Tewksbury Township Police Department (TTPD) and Office of Emergency Management have been working with Township Administrator Barberio and Mayor Melick on the COVID-19 situation. Here are a few important points we would like to let our residents know regarding it:
1. Our number one priority is and will continue to be the safety of our residents. Our police officers will continue to provide the highest level of service to the township. However, the TTPD along with many other first responder agencies have modified and adapted their response to certain calls for the protection of the public and our officers. This may include additional personal protective equipment or modified response so please do not be alarmed if you encounter it.
If you need Police assistance do not hesitate to call.
If you have an emergency please call 9-1-1.
2. We currently have no cases of COVID-19 reported in Tewksbury, but in order to minimize possible exposure to and the spread of the virus to the public and the employees of Tewksbury Township we encourage that any/all general inquiries by made via phone and not in person. Should you require a report taken or a copy of report/paperwork we ask that you call the respective department during business hours for arrangements to be made for you to minimize exposure for all.
908-439-3477 M – F 7:30 am – 3:00 pm, if after hours 908-439-2503
Emergencies dial 9-1-1
Township Administration / Finance / Tax Collection / Land Use:
908-439-0022 M – F 8:00 am – 3:30 pm
908-832-5552. M – F 7:30 am – 3:00 pm
Department of Public Works
908-439-0022 ext. 737, M – F 7:00 am – 3:00 pm
908-832-7684, Tuesdays 10:00 am – 2:00 pm (except on court dates when the office opens at 2:00 pm) and on Wednesdays from 2:30 pm - 4:30 pm.
3. Crime does not take a break for COVID-19. Please continue to be vigilant. Lock your cars and remove your keys/fobs from your vehicles. If you see something suspicious do not hesitate to call the TTPD.
4. No agencies are going door-to-door to conduct COVID-19 related surveillance. Do not speak to anyone claiming to be from the CDC or let them into your home. If someone does come to your home making such a claim, call TTPD so we can respond and verify their identity.
5. The TTPD will continue to provide our property check service. If you are going to be away, call our dispatch center to set up a property check.
6. Our senior population is the most at risk, especially those that have a pre-existing respiratory illness. If you know of someone who may need any type of assistance, please reach out to us and let us know. We can get them in contact with the appropriate services/assistance if needed and check in with them. � �
7. We encourage all to sign up for NIXLE alerts from Tewksbury Township. You can do so by texting 07830 to 888777, or by going to https://local.nixle.com/signup/widget/i/736
8. Rumors & misinformation can only make this situation worse. Please refer to the CDC, NJ Department of Health, the Hunterdon County Department of Health or the Tewksbury Township Website for the most up to date and accurate information.
9. Watch the below informational video from Hunterdon County Health Department Director Karen DeMarco – “Coronavirus: Awareness, Not Fear”
As the coronavirus (COVID-19) continues to affect the United States and New Jersey, we want to advise you that the Tewksbury Township Police and Administration is actively monitoring the situation. In these uncertain times, our top priority is to safeguard our employees and the residents we serve. We will continue to update and revise as conditions, knowledge and recommendations are changing daily.
We will continue to work with and monitor this evolving situation along with our township, county, state, and federal partners; and we will post updates to keep you informed as new information is made available to us
Important Links for the most accurate and up to date info on COVID 19:
Signup for NIXLE for alerts from Tewksbury Township
We are monitoring numerous information sources to keep us informed, including:
- United States Center for Disease (CDC)DC - https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/summary.html
- NJ Department of Health - https://www.state.nj.us/health/cd/topics/covid2019_community.shtml
- Hunterdon County Department of Health - https://www.co.hunterdon.nj.us/coronavirus.html