Registrar’s summer office hours are Monday through Thursday 8:00am – 4:00pm.
Appointments must be made.
Please contact Jennifer Ader, Municipal Clerk at 908-439-0022, ext. 729 or firstname.lastname@example.org to set up an appointment for marriage / civil license or if you have any questions regarding the process.
Requirements for entering into a Marriage:
- The marriage license application is to be made in the New Jersey municipality in which either party resides and the license is valid throughout the State of New Jersey.
- If neither applicant is a New Jersey resident, submit the application in the municipality where the marriage ceremony will be performed, the license is only valid in the issuing municipality.
- Proof of identity by presenting your current driver’s license, passport or state/federal I.D.
- Proof of your residency.
- Your social security card or social security number. (Social security number is required by law for US citizens and will be kept confidential)
- A witness, 18 years of age or older.
- The $28 application fee.
- Any documents in a foreign language must be accompanied by a certified English translation.
- After the ceremony, the marriage license will be filed in the municipality where the ceremony took place. (Not where the application appointment occurred)
- Be advised that there will not be anything received back after filing the marriage license - you will have to purchase a certified copy of your marriage license. (Please see below on how to request certified copies)
There is a 72-hour waiting period before the license is issued. The waiting period begins when the application is filed with the Local Registrar. There is no 72-hour waiting period for a remarriage; however, you must bring a certified copy of your existing marriage.
Marriage/Civil Union license applications may be obtained by Click here to access form.
- Page 1 of the form can be completed legibly in advance.
- Page 2 of the form MUST be filled out with the Registrar in the Municipal Building at least 3 days prior to the intended marriage date, appointments must be made.
To Request Certified Copies of Marriage, Death, or Birth Certificates that occurred in Tewksbury Township:
Certified Copies Applications may be obtained by Click here to access form.
You can obtain a copy in person or mailing the following: A $5.00 fee per copy made payable to Tewksbury Township, Proof of ID, and completed application to Tewksbury Township Municipal Office located at 169 Old Turnpike Road, Califon, NJ 07830. Attn Registrar.