Registrar’s summer office hours are Monday through Thursday 8:00am – 4:00pm.
Appointments must be made to apply for a marriage license.
Please make sure that you know when the ceremony will take place, what municipality the ceremony will be held, and who is the officiant prior to setting up the appointment.
To schedule the appointment for marriage/civil union or any questions regarding the process, please contact Jennifer Ader, Municipal Clerk at 908-439-0022, ext. 729 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Marriage/Civil Union license applications may be obtained by Click here to access form.
- Page 1 of the form shall be completed legibly in advance.
- Page 2 of the form MUST be filled out in front the Registrar in the Municipal Building with at least 3 days prior to the intended marriage date. Appointments must be made.
Requirements for entering into a Marriage:
- The marriage license application is to be made in the New Jersey municipality in which either party resides and the license is valid throughout the State of New Jersey.
- If neither applicant is a New Jersey resident, submit the application in the municipality where the marriage ceremony will be performed, the license is only valid in the issuing municipality.
- Proof of identity by presenting your current driver’s license, passport or state/federal I.D.
- Proof of your residency.
- Your social security card or social security number. (Social security number is required by law for US citizens and will be kept confidential)
- A witness, 18 years of age or older.
- The $28 application fee.
- Any documents in a foreign language must be accompanied by a certified English translation.
- After the ceremony, the marriage license will be filed in the municipality where the ceremony took place. (Not where the application appointment occurred)
- Be advised that there will not be anything received back after filing the marriage license - you will have to purchase a certified copy of your marriage license. (Please see below on how to request certified copies)
There is a 72-hour waiting period before the license is issued. The waiting period begins when the application is filed with the Local Registrar. There is no 72-hour waiting period for a remarriage; however, you must bring a certified copy of your existing marriage.
To Request Certified Copies of Marriage, Death, or Birth Certificates that occurred in Tewksbury Township:
Certified Copies Applications may be obtained by Click here to access form.
You can obtain a certified copy by bringing the request in person or mailing and must include the following: $5.00 fee per copy made payable to Tewksbury Township, Proof of ID of requestor, and completed application to Tewksbury Township Municipal Office located at 169 Old Turnpike Road, Califon, NJ 07830. Attn Registrar.