Information on the Firearms Application & Registration System (FARS) during the COVID-19 response.
All FARS applications will be processed with an expected delay due to the COVID-19 response and recovery. FARS will continue to accept new applications, however it is expected that the background investigations and processing times will be significantly delayed.
The States contracted fingerprint vendor sites will be accepting appointments on a limited basis. Appointments will begin once each facility is properly cleaned and an appropriate schedule can be made to account for social distancing. Applicants should monitor the vendors' site for availability.
The process of delivering the Firearms Purchaser Identification Cards and/or Handgun Purchase Permits may be modified (i.e. mailing permits, pickup from a drop box, etc…) and will be handled on a case by case basis.
Effective March 31st, Federal Firearms Licencees (FFLs) have been listed as essential retail businesses, but must operate under the following provisions:
- FFLs may remain open to the public only for the purpose of completing the portions of a sale or transfer that must be conducted in-person under state and/or federal law and for the purpose of product maintenance and repair services;
- All in-person sales or transfers shall be conducted by appointment and during limited hours so as to minimize congregating of persons; and
- FFLs must operate in accordance with paragraphs 6 and 7 of Executive Order # 107 regarding social distancing and all other applicable provisions of that Order.
The National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) used by firearms dealers is operational while adhering to social distancing and curfews, expect delays.
Handgun Purchase Permits are valid for 90 days and can be extended for an additional 90 days for a total validity period of 180 days. It is possible that Handgun Purchase Permits may expire prior to the end of the COVID-19 response. Handgun Purchase Permits will not be extended past the 180 days from the date of issuance. Exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis for transactions initiated before Executive Order #107 became effective. The NJSP Firearms Unit and the respective retail firearms dealer will handle those exceptions.
We are providing this information so applicants can make an informed decision on submitting an application in FARS at this time.
To obtain the following New Jersey Firearms documents you must submit applications through the Firearms Application & Registration System (also known as FARS), by following the directions listed below:
- Initial Firearms Purchase Identification Card
- Permit to purchase a handgun
- Lost or stolen Identification Card
- Mutilated Identification Card
- Change of Address on Identification Card
- Change of Sex on Identification Card
- Change of Name on Identification Card
Step 1: You must access the following website: www.njportal.com/NJSP/FARS
Step 2: Enter the following ORI# NJ0102400. If successfully entered it should display TEWKSBURY TWP PD **If an incorrect ORI number is entered on the form, you will NOT receive a firearms ID card or a permit to purchase a handgun. You will then have to re-apply using the correct ORI number and pay for the process again. A refund will NOT be issued.
Step 3: Complete the online application. You can complete the application by using a smartphone, laptop, and or desktop computer that has internet connection. When completing the application you will need the email address of two (2) reputable references.
- Once the application is submitted employment verification must be made. (Retirees, self-employed, unemployed and students are exempt). Applicants have the option of submitting a copy of a recent (within the last 30 days) paystub by emailing it to email@example.com. Enter your full name in the subject line (Pay amounts may be redacted/blacked out).
- If you choose not to submit a pay stub to the Police Department, an officer will have to contact your employer to confirm employment. You will be responsible for any cost associated with verification from your employer.
Step 4: You must respond to the Tewksbury Township Police Department, 167 Old Turnpike Road, Califon NJ 07830 to pay for your initial Firearms Identification Card (FID) or Pistol Purchase Permits. Please write FARS CONFIRMATION # on your check or money order. Your application will not be processed until you have paid for the FID Card/Pistol Purchase Permits. Non-refundable payment is required to be made prior to the completion of the background as per NJAC 13:54-1.4
Once your application request is completed:
- You will be receiving automated email updates throughout this process
- Once your application is complete, you will be contacted by the Tewksbury Township Police Department to pickup your FID Card or Pistol Purchase Permits.
- Please advise your references that the FARS system will email them the reference questions to be answered. Your references can complete the questions using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop or desktop computer that has internet connection. Please advise them to complete the questions immediately to process your background investigation.
- The online application is applicant driven. Please ensure that you have entered the best phone numbers for yourself and references as well as the best email addresses for yourself and references.
- Application fee: $21.00
- Initial Firearms Identification Card: $5.00
- Permit(s) to Purchase a Handgun: $2.00 for each permit
- Change of Address, Change of Name, Lost or Stolen ID card: No Fee
Other Firearms Documents: