Information on the Firearms Application & Registration System (FARS)
To obtain the following New Jersey Firearms documents you must submit applications through the Firearms Application & Registration System (also known as FARS), by following the directions listed below:
- Initial Firearms Purchase Identification Card
- Permit to purchase a handgun
- Lost or stolen Identification Card
- Mutilated Identification Card
- Change of Address on Identification Card
- Change of Sex on Identification Card
- Change of Name on Identification Card
Step 1: You must access the following website: www.njportal.com/NJSP/FARS
Step 2: Enter the following ORI# NJ0102400. If successfully entered it should display TEWKSBURY TWP PD **If an incorrect ORI number is entered on the form, you will NOT receive a firearms ID card or a permit to purchase a handgun. You will then have to re-apply using the correct ORI number and pay for the process again. A refund will NOT be issued.
Step 3: Complete the online application. You can complete the application by using a smartphone, laptop, and or desktop computer that has internet connection. When completing the application you will need the email address of two (2) reputable references.
- Once the application is submitted employment verification must be made. (Retirees, self-employed, unemployed and students are exempt). Applicants have the option of submitting a copy of a recent (within the last 30 days) paystub by emailing it to email@example.com. Enter your full name in the subject line (Pay amounts may be redacted/blacked out).
- If you choose not to submit a pay stub to the Police Department, an officer will have to contact your employer to confirm employment. You will be responsible for any cost associated with verification from your employer.
Step 4: You must respond to the Tewksbury Township Police Department, 167 Old Turnpike Road, Califon NJ 07830 to pay for your initial Firearms Identification Card (FID) or Pistol Purchase Permits. Please write FARS CONFIRMATION # on your check or money order. Your application will not be processed until you have paid for the FID Card/Pistol Purchase Permits. Non-refundable payment is required to be made prior to the completion of the background as per NJAC 13:54-1.4
Once your application request is completed:
- You must contact our Department during regular business hours to pay any/all applicable fees. Your application will not be processed until all fees have been collected.
- You will be receiving automated email updates throughout this process. There is no need to contact the Tewksbury Township Police to inquire the status of your application.
- Paper Pistol Purchase Permits and Paper Firearms Identification Cards are no longer issued by police departments, the Permits are now electronic and the Identification Cards are sent to you via email from the State of New Jersey. Licensed firearms dealers will process your permit via the FARS system.
- Please advise your references that the FARS system will email them the reference questions to be answered. Your references can complete the questions using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop or desktop computer that has internet connection. Please advise them to complete the questions immediately to process your background investigation.
- The online application is applicant driven. Any mistakes made on the application will further delay the process.
- Please ensure that you have entered the best phone numbers for yourself and references as well as the best email addresses for yourself and references.
Fees: ** Applications will not be processed until fees have been paid to Tewksbury Township.
- Application fee: $21.00
- Initial Firearms Identification Card: $5.00
- Permit(s) to Purchase a Handgun: $2.00 for each permit
- Change of Address, Change of Name, Lost or Stolen ID card: No Fee
Other Firearms Documents: